Recently I’ve been seeing a lot of celebrities, models and make-up artists sport the famous “lip oils” in their hands all over social media.
In theory, they are great for plumping and hydrating this fragile area. However, when I did my research about the ingredients contained in these oils… Ouch! None of them made any sense. These products were full of endocrine disruptors a.k.a. chemicals that may interfere with the body’s endocrine system and produce adverse developmental, reproductive, neurological, and immune effects on humans.
Still, the idea was interesting and I have been using lip oils since (they work!!!), but with my own reinvented recipe!
I revised and adapted it, so that it contained a maximum of interesting ingredients in order to create the optimal plumping, anti-aging and nourishing effect. It’s ideal as night treatment for lips or you can use it simply when you “lose control” of this area. Like when you are on vacation and your lips dry out due to too much sun exposure, for example.
- – 1 tablespoon of apricot kernel oil (or olive oil, but I think that it’s a little bit too oily for lips area, I prefer to avoid it because it can give you blackheads; it all depends on your skin type, so up to you to decide).
- – 1 drop of organic peppermint essential oil
- – 1/3 teaspoon of cinnamon (Yup, it’s waiting for you on your kitchen counter and it doesn’t understand why you are only using it in your smoothies)
- – 1 drop of organic rose essential oil (YES I know, this is a very expensive essential oil, but trust me – it’s the best natural anti-aging ingredient and the smell is a cure on itself! Buy it 100% pure!)
- – ½ teaspoon of Manuka honey (This one has more regenerating properties compared to other honeys)
- – Mixing bowl (Wooden utensils and bowls are the best tools when it comes to mix natural ingredients such as essential oils)
- – Mixing tool
- Mix everything together in you mixing bowl
- If it has a weird color and texture, it’s totally normal!
- Don’t forget that this plumping oil contains peppermint oil which can irritate your skin so 1 drop is enough, don’t add more!
- Try a small amount first and massage it for a few minutes.
- You can keep this mix for up to 48 hours in your refrigerator.
Try it and let me know if you have any other natural/healthy tips to achieve a moisturizing and plumping effect on the lips! ☺
Main photo cred – Originals